Description editA markup language might denote some semantic role of a certain string of the text, for example, document title, chapter delimiter, paragraph delimiter, etc.Another common type of markup is presentation markup. This is the type of markup we use on this wiki. With presentation markup, you indicate what special actions should be taken during transformation of the text from raw text to the form presented to the user. Here on the wiki, we can
- mark words as italic (surround then with double apostrophes)
- mark words as bold (surround them with triple apostrophes)
- insert horizontal rules (four dashes in a line only)
- create bulleted lists (start line with 3 spaces, asterisk, space, then your text)
These distinctions are sometimes summarized as being between procedural markup and declarative markup.
Markup Languages edit
See Also edit
- lightweight markup languages
- Simple Markup
- a simple presentation markup language.
- Structured TeXt
- a generic name for a classe of simple markup lanauges
- Template and Macro processing
- Tcl as a markup language